Cornea Treatment In Pune
This is the outermost layer of the eye. Light enters the eye through the cornea. It is a transparent glass like structure. Transparency of the cornea is an important aspect of clear vision. The cornea measures 12mm horizontally and 11mm vertically. The cornea contributes 70 % of the total focusing power of the eye. This is the main reason it is important to take care of the cornea.
The change in the shape of the cornea may lead to development of refractive errors.
If the cornea is steeper than normal it cause myopia.
If the cornea is flatter than normal it cause hypermetropia.
If the cornea is irregular it will lead to astigmatism.
Structure of the Cornea
The cornea is made up of 5 layers each layer has its own function
Outermost layer of cornea is called epithelium. It is the protective layer. Every external object that enters the will go through the epithelium. The epithelium keeps shedding and regenerating its cells. The functions of epithelium are:
- To protect the eye from dust, bacteria, water and other foreign bodies that may cause damage to the eye.
- It absorbs oxygen and nutrients from the tears and keep the surface of the cornea smooth
This is the second layer of the cornea. It is also known as anterior limiting membrane. It is made up of protein fibres called collagen. It’s a strong layer between the corneal stroma and epithelium
This is the middle layer of the cornea. It is made up of collagen fibrils, water and keratocytes. There 200- 300 layers of collagen fibrils arranged in parallel fashion this is responsible for the transparency of the cornea.
It is the fourth layer of the cornea. It protects the eye from infections and injuries. It is referred to as posterior limiting membrane& consists of collagen fibrils.
It is the innermost layer of the cornea. It maintains the fluid balance in the cornea.
What are the common problems affecting the Cornea?
Various problems can occur in the cornea. Some of them are:
Who are at risk for corneal conditions?
Corneal dystrophies are usually familial.
Contact lens wearers
are always at risk of infection. You must always follow instructions to clean and disinfect contact lenses.
Those at risk for eye injuries-
- Play sports like cricket, baseball
- Make repairs – use hammer
- Use machines- like drills
- Use chemicals- Like painters / spray insecticide.
Most corneal problems can be treated but some may lead to corneal blindness.
What should I do if I feel something has gone in my eyes?
- Blink your eyes several times.
- Rinse your eyes with clean drinking water.
- Do not rub your eyes, if there I a foreign body you might scratch your eyes
- If you can identify a foreign body in the eye. Do not try to remove it yourself. Get it removed from your eye doctor.
What are the treatment options for corneal diseases?
- Eyedrops: Mild cases can be easily treated with eyedrops
- Laser: Phototherapeutic Keratectomy(PTK) to reshapethe cornea, remove any scar
- Corneal transplantation: In severe conditions the damaged cornea is replaced by healthy donor cornea
- Artificial cornea- Damaged cornea is replaced by Keratoprosthesis
Cornea treatment at Indovision Cataract & Laser Eye Hospital Pune.
We offer best treatment of cornea in Pune. At Indovision cataract and laser eye hospital you will be be seen by our dedicated expert team. We evaluate every patient thoroughly. Then a personalised customised treatment plan will be made for you. All the treatment options will be given to you. As per your budget and eye needs a treatment plan of your choice will be selected. Please feel free to know about the pros and cons of every procedure suggested to you.