Low Vision Aids
Visual impairment is termed as a low vision that cannot fully be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, medications or even surgeries. Severe eye disease causes this problem. Here, the visual acuity becomes 20/70 or less in the better eye where there is a significant loss of visual field (constriction to 20 degrees or less is termed as tunnel vision)
Low vision impacts people of all ages but this is more visible to the people who have crossed 60. Visual acuity of a person with 20/70 vision sees an eye chart from 20 feet away same, as what a person with impaired vision or 20/20 vision sees from 70 feet away.
The World Health Organisation defines low vision as:
“A person with low vision has impairment of visual functioning even after treatment and/or standard refractive correction, and has a visual acuity of less than 6/18 to light perception, or a visual field of less than ten degrees from the point of fixation, but who uses, or is potentially able to use, vision for planning and/ or execution of a task.
What causes Allergic conjunctivitis?
There are some causes and patterns which cannot be corrected even after all treatments and they are:
- Macular degeneration: Blurred vision or partially obscured central vision (be it age-related or hereditary).
- Diabetic Retinopathy: Blind spots, blurriness and visual distortions to the eyes.
- Glaucoma: Poor peripheral vision or tunnel vision.
- Retinitis Pigmentosa: Poor peripheral vision and inability to see in the dark.
- Eye injuries.
- A poor central vision which progresses to no light perception: Optic neuropathies, be it inherited or acquired (toxic).
These adaptations help in the everyday task and that is called low vision techniques:
- Increase the lighting in your house
- Reduce glare
- Use heavy, bold felt tip markers for writing and shopping lists
- Special low vision devices
Low vision is something when air vision loss isn’t corrected and that interferes with daily activities which creates problems in a real-life situation. These are better defined regarding function and that is better than test results.
In case you find it difficult to run your life with low vision and you want to see a comprehensive eye examination you can visit Indovision Cataract & Laser Eye Centre, Pune.
Vision loss treatment can be corrected to a certain point with the help of eyeglasses, contact lenses, or even surgeries, as in the case of cataracts. If it doesn’t prove helpful, then your surgeon will conduct special tests to diagnose the cause, its types and the severity. If needed, your doctor will suggest you go for further treatments to cope with the life circumstances.
Your doctor will suggest appropriate aids for your vision problem that is based suited for your condition and how to use them based on your problems. There are several options to choose from for vision loss problems. Among them, lighted handheld magnifiers, digital desktop magnifiers and biopic telescopes are very common. Some other new features help in simplifying computer use with magnification and text to speech features help a lot in this situation and that is also customizable according to the need.
Low vision specialists often suggest non-optical adaptive devices such as large font books, magazines, audiobooks, and special light fixtures signature guides for shining checks and documents nowadays.
The most common low vision aids are
Magnifying spectacles help in reading threading in noodles, stitching and this sort of work. It is own like and eyeglasses. This is the picture of a hands-free magnifier that allows you to work with your hands.
These magnifiers are important from others because it is placed every from the eyes and on the object, you want to read. These particular magnifiers have built-in lights with them and the handheld persons are also available for reading purposes. But if you have tremor or arthritis problems you can go for standing magnifiers which is this suited for this condition.
Telescopes are used to see objects or signs far away. It is attached with eyeglasses to make it like binoculars.
This electronic device is used to make small fonts look bigger. The most easily available “video magnifiers” are there in your smartphones. It allows you to increase the size of the font of your text.
Low Vision Techniques
These adaptations help in the everyday task and that is called low vision techniques.
- Increase the lighting in your house: To improve the visibility you can replace your light bulbs with bulbs of higher wattage and that can make all nooks and crannies adequately illuminated so that it can prevent any falls.
- Reduce glare: To reduce light fixtures and minimize glaring problems, you can shield your eyes from dazzle by a lot of means. You can wear sunglasses, you can use a wide-brimmed hat or a dupatta or stole to wrap your face and make a shield to the eyes.
- Use heavy, bold felt tip markers for writing and shopping lists: you can use a whiteboard to mark any important dates or to make any lists.
- Special low vision devices: Watches, remotes, and thermostats that “talk back” are also readily available and affordable tools to help in reducing the issues.